Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lessons Learned in Online Ancestral Search

Sorry for any inconvenience but I have some news for you.

Wendtland is my last name, not Ventline.

That's according to official census records that go back to the 1800s in Mogildo, Poland where
my father's side of the family originated and practiced their faith at St. Martin Church in the village of Paledzie Koscielne.

Baptismal records, like official civic census notes, help track ancestral roots, even though the ecclesiastical markings are in Latin, dating as far back as 1832.

My online exploration of family of faith and origin had me on a three-hour rendevous with my guide, Cecile Wendt Jensen, a genealogist, and, director of Polinica American Research Institute (PARI) of the Polish Mission at the Orchard Lake Schools on Commerce Road and Orchard Lake Road in Oakland County, MI.

"I thought I could work relatively fast on your line since there is no "V" in the Polish alphabet, and your surname is similar to my maiden name, Wendt," she said, as she worked profusely on my family tree.

According to the Hamburg Passenger List, great granddad left Germany on April 9, 1881, and arrived in New York on April 29 when he was 30.

Three generations traveled together. Valentin, my great grandfather brought his wife Josepha, and children, Franz and Rosalie, as well as his own parents Warsin and Barbara.

My own grandfather, John, was born in Michigan and wed Marcyanna Skrzypinski on November 8, 1911, in the historic Polish community of Parisville, MI. His second marriage to Annie Stazak was July 2, 1918 in Port Austin, MI., according to the site, http://www.familysearch.org/. Gramps original wife died at 28 of tuberculosis when my own father was very young at six months old, oral traditions reports.

So ends this search as I'm challed by PARI to get back online to Poland to find the roots of my
mother's side of the family, also from Poland and Cheboygan, Michigan where I return this week for a funeral of Walter Romanik, a man who reached out and touched many hearts and hands with a powerful presence and present like his Lord, Jesus the Christ, his guide, God.

I'll get some help with mom's family tree July 18 at PARI on the Orchard Lake campus when they host workshops and seminars on family roots and relations and tri-generational stories of German, Jewish and Polish immigrants.

You may want to get in on these explorations, the history and ethnicities of Poland, family photos and portraits, ship manifests, and U.S. Census records through August 26 on the campus that is only miles from Detroit, MI.

A "Grandparents Project" and more for aunts, uncles, grandchildren, and significant others is
set. Call the Polinica Americana Research Institute at 248 683 0323 for more information and registration, or, visit http://grandparents.evenbrite.com/, or http://polishmission.com/.


"Z Bogiem!" "Go with God!"

Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment