Saturday, July 9, 2011

Secrets

Sick as one's secrets.

I began to believe that years ago. When family stories and horrors are kept clandestine and kept under cover, healing hardly happens. Dysfunction brews, even depression.

Family trees tell much about households and families down through generations.

That was learned in searches of my own family of faith and orgins recently.

Even at 62 it is never too late to discover roots and relationships.

I know.

In the past couple weeks I researched both sides of my parents.

My great grandparents were re-married. Boths sides emerged from Poland into America.

This online adventures was cathartic and freeing in many ways.

A glimpse of family secrets was apparent growing up. Yet, no one told me directly about my maternal greatgrandma who committed suicide six years after her marriage.

My own dad's alcohol attachment disorder came on early in his life after his mother died at 18 when he was six-months old, oral tradition reports. He was abused apparently.

We are as sick as our secrets, sad to admit.

Researching a family tree is worth all the energy consumed. Findings can be horrors and nightmares; however, but necesssary in mending and healing the family tree.

I wondered why depression was commonplace on both sides of our family tree.

The searches helped me appreciate why.

It seems that almost every family has some secrets.

Bringing them to light is a necessary part of reconciling unexpected events in the family story.
And, if necessary, counseling is an important piece in the puzzle of
entangled stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment