Thursday, September 15, 2011

Catholic Book Store in Detroit Posts 'Moved to Dearborn' Sign

Before my trek to SS. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church for the 11:40 am Mass with the Catholic Lawyer Society, I wanted to secure Richard Rohr's, Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps, Richard Foster's, Sanctuary of the Soul: Journey into Meditative Prayer, and, Stephen Prothero's, God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World.

As I parked and fed the meter on Washington Boulevard, I glanced at St. Aloysius Church and the Catholic Book Store next door.

It looked like the store was dark without the usual display of colorful small and huge tomes and books in the window to view.

And, only a white sign noting that the store moved to Dearborn was visible. Oh my . . .

I was surprised since this was the first I heard of this closure.

Perhaps my feelings felt were like of those who arrived at their gym recently only to find a notice indicating 'closed'.

An arrow pierced my heart, it seemed. At least, it felt that way.

A long-time relationship with the Catholic Book Store was over. And, the superb customer service with the manger, Dennis, would be missed. I was a bit upset to say the least.

Shifts in higher levels of common courtesy seem to get away with a failure to communicate such closures these days. Perhaps to avoid the flack from customers and parishioners. I don't know.
It would have been fitting to have a farewell gathering. A closure of sorts. A transition. To grieve, that's why. It's part of my faith tradition to grieve some, move on, and let go. But none of that!

Perhaps others made the decision for Dennis and the Catholic Book Store. I don't know.

Customer care from those in charge of top-level decisions seems to be lacking these days, sad to admit.

Dearborn, Michigan is a distance from the East Side. Going the distance is worth it with Dennis at the helm, however.

Praise to Dennis who was always available and present in a culture when customer care
dwindles daily, it seems, while prompters replace a "live" receptionist on the phone. His telephone was always answered personally with a living person at the other end of the phone.

I will miss the service Dennis and his helpers provided and the care they offered that other
big stores would not afford. Bookstores have tough towing these days competing with bigger Barnes and Nobles, and the Internet, for example.

Off I went after Mass to Barnes and Nobles on Seven Mile at Mack to get the three tomes I wanted.

The Catholic Book Store stood the test of time. Like other independent operators, this store
was destined to move from downtown Detroit like so many other businesses do.

It just did not seem right how it was announced that the store moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment