Saturday, June 9, 2012

Solanus Casey Center Guided Prayer Path

"Probe me, God, know my heart; try me,
know my concerns.  See if my way is
crooked, then lead me in the ancient paths."
                       - Psalm 139: 23-24

It's like being on pilgrimage when I take a trek through the self-guided prayer path (www.solanuscenter.org) at the site at 1780 Mt. Elliott near downtown Detroit.

Years ago, at nearby the the largely Belgian based-parish of Our Lady of Sorrows Church on Meldrum and Kercheval, only a few blocks from the revered monastery of Blessed Solanus Casey, almost daily I would take a jog past this architectural edifice.  Ever so often I would stop for for a respite to visits guests and have a coffee at the soup kitchen that opened early each day.

Here in the hall of saints, as it is called, there are models of holiness - the aim of each Catholic, among other Christians.  To be holy. These were, including Saint Katherine Drexel, Saint Joseph the Just, Saint  Elizabeth of Hungary, Saint Martin dePorres,  Saint Clare of Assisi, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Saint Francis of Assisi, and Saint Therese of Lisieux, the Little Flower.

Along with these women and men are the corporal and spiritual works of mercy Matthew's twenty-fifth chapter of the Gospel, notes, called mileposts along the way in this trek . Windows with illumining light shadows through these reminders for getting to Heaven's path, one day.

This personal prayer path encapsulates in large measure the meanng of being a believer, while pausing to ponder.

As one images knocking at doors, here one stands and knocks at the entry of the Creator's heart, so to speak.

Imagine Father Solanus greeting guests on this brief pilgrimage in the City of Detroit, close to the historic jewal, Belle Isle, a small island nestled within the Detroit River.  There on this pastoral green gem I would run at least half of the ten-mile jaunt.  There also I would pause to be still and know who is God.  Clearly, not me, I reminded myself often.

An attitude of being, the Beatitudes (Mt. 5:1-12), grip my wondrous walk through this prayer path.

In communion with all the heavenly saint I sit before the Blessed Sacrament.

There I sit long, talk little, laugh even.

How good it is to have been here.

Amen.

So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment