Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Wally Ziemba: "Act; don't react on stage of life, Larry"

Monsignor Walter Ziemba was one of a kind.

He was.

Really.

Once, when I was seeking advice, the professor, pastor and superintendent of the Orchard Lake Schools at Orchard Lake, MI., said:

"Act; don't react on the the stage of life, Larry."

I needed his opinion when an elderly priest and friend of mine in Poletown was living with dementia and I needed the hierarchy's head pastor to know.

My wise English teacher told me to be proactive; while he knew that the boss was reactive.

I appreciate this bit of wisdom.

It served me well as we met in his parlor where a fireplace beamed with orange and red flames.

"Father, please pull down the shade," said Father Skalski.

The boss looked.  And, he knew now what I wanted him to experience in this gem of a pastor.

The dedicated host of Karol Wojtyla (Pope John Paul II) at OL, Msgr. Ziemba was a practical pastor who founded the development arm, the Ambassadors of the OL Schools, a Polish Mission, and a liturgical center for Polish-language aides for pastors who were formed by him, among others, all of his years since he was ordained a Catholic priest.

And, much more, as he taught freshman English to my 67 classmates and me in 1967 while I aimed to graduate from St. Mary's College toward service as a priest in 1976.

What a legacy Ziemba left.

Father Thomas Machalski who steers the seminary schools now, said:  "His death is a great loss to Orchard Lake."

What a bit of truth be told about Fr. Wally.

In a culture when many react to situations and problems,  this man of God, this shepherd of souls until his death last Friday at 85, taught me to respond and act as an actor on the stage of life.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him!

Amen.

So be it!

An iconic

No comments:

Post a Comment