Friday, July 6, 2012

In the Hospital

Twenty-year-old Matthew needed to sleep his life away after surgery on his jaw this week.

When his parents and I walked into his room with a grocery-bag full of medicines to calm the ache,
Matthew almost immediately asked if he could have something for the pain.

After all, they'd be driving miles back to the Thumb from Royal Oak. It's a two-hour hike by car.

Matthew would attempt to sleep most of the way, I'm guessing.

I asked his parents if they had stock in the hospital since they were just in town to "relax the achilles tendons of another younger son, Tyler.  And, on and on the trek goes for hospital care from early on in the life of Tyler.


Yet, his parents seemed to "bounce" with it all.

They seemed to accept the situation.

They were ready to fill their car and drive home amid sizzling heat of close to 100 degrees in Detroit.

A few floors up, I was greeted by a handful of physicians, family and other attendants for another
patient who was brougt in days earlier with high blood pressure and chest pains.

With a smile and a firm hand grip, Ron seemed cheerful, and, looked to have some color in his face to complement his wide smile.

His family was cheerful despite news that Ron would be transported to Henry Ford in an hour or so.

With a blessing, some assuring words, and, the sacrament, called, anointing of the sick, I said "good-bye" after some humorous exchanges.

Hospital visits are an enjoyable part of ministry.

Being there when people are in crisis is what pastors do best, it seems to me.

As I got into my car I wondered why others wouldn't choose the life of an ordained priest.

Meaningfulness abounds.

At least for this pastor this bountiful day, thanks be to God.





No comments:

Post a Comment