Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Why I'm Catholic

It amazes me months after the topic, "Why I'm Catholic," was addressed in Saint Sylvester Church in Warren, MI., that responses from participants still resound loud and clear.

I was born Catholic.

I was baptized Catholic.

Stain glass windows, insence, Mary, saints, more all keep me Catholic. 

The smell of church, the aroma of flowers, the seasons, colors, rich music, solemn Latin and English liturgy. We haveit all!

Fullness of faith.

I converted to Pentecostalism from Catholicisim and then returned home to my Catholic roots.

Never can I leave my Catholic faith.

Traditions.

Scripture is so rich with us Catholics since Vatican II called for more bible passages at Mass.

It's firm and sure faith for me being Catholic.

Of course, families fight and disagree.  Catholics also but why would I leave?

On and on went about ten participants who gave reasons for being Catholic in a few minutes to a crowd of sixty listening ears.

They also love being Catholics.

Jesus is my hero and why I'm Catholic, a younger one voiced before the accolade at evening end was complete.

And, yet another complained about dogma and doctrine and other "axes" to grind with a pastor, a sister, a neighbor. . .and fifty years later is still Catholic telling about it and committed to the faith, it seems to me.
And, the pastor and sociologist, Father Andrew Greeley, concludes from his research that Catholics are also sexier!

Why I'm Catholic. . .

This could catch on at most parishes and retreat houses.  That is, the topic could swell and welcome the story of each one who identifies as Catholic today.

Worth noting, isn't it?

The enthusiasm in the room could hardly be contained in the respectful and engaged listening as silence and pauses poked deeply when speakers grew emotional and profound in their witnessing.

And, savoring it all undoubtedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment