Friday, July 18, 2014

A Bishop Is Called to Task

The New York Times called for a bishop to resign in its op/ed pages today.

Investigations seem to be uncovering disturbing truths, let alone allegations.

A local bishop doesn't think he will resign, however.

Pressure on him presses on daily.

How can he endure the ache and push to surrender?

How?

Some time ago, I called his office and wanted to ask this bishop to do a courageous thing.

His affect seemed flat.

I didn't have the heart to tell him then.

Weeks later, I called his office again asking his priest secretary to give him a message.

He replied that he would.

I trust he did.

Media is all abuzz about this story.

Honesty is the best policy.  Whoever one is, she or he is set free by the truth.

In all humility, I know.

God is in all this always.

The bishop will do the right thing, I hope, sooner than later.

Let's pray he will as his parishioners applaud his accepting who their Shepherd is leading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment