Thursday, April 15, 2010

PRAYING ON TAX DUE DAY

Why pray?

Connecting with family, friends and acquaintances is important in relationships, isn't it? Well, tuning into the Maker daily is important also. Engaging with God in what is called prayer allows one to give praise to the Creator for a new day, to petition for healing for an ailing aunt, for example, or, to be still, shut up and simply be in the Presence.

For me, stress is a divine disconect. When I am praying less I find that bad stress enters, or distractions, or detours, or ways that are far from God - perhaps demonic paths never intended as St. Paul said he does the things he did not intend to do!

This tax due day reminds me of Jesus telling followers to render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God things that are God's. So, we pay our due of tax, or get a cash return. Some may be praying that they missed the tax due deadline and need to apply for an extension. Pray always, nevertheless, and life is better, really!

The Angelus is a favorite prayer from my past rooting me to God in Mary. Remember saying it? I bet if you asked some friends if they recall it, they may call it up from school days, in religious education classes, called C.C.D. (Confraternity of Christian Doctrine) or Catholic school education.

It goes like this:

The Angel (good news bearer) of the Lord
declared unto Mary.
And she conceived of the Holy Spirit.
Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen (So be it. It is true. (Verdad!)

Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
Be it done unto me according to thy word.
Hail Mary. (Repeat prayer noted above that begins with Hail, Mary. Repitition is the mother of all learning, remember?)

And the Word was made flesh.
And dwelt among us.
Hail Mary.

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:
Pour forth, we beseech thee, O Lord,
thy grace into our hearts; that we, to
whom the Incarnation of Christ, thy Son,
was made known by the message of an angel, may by his Passion
and Cross be brought to the glory of his Resurrection. Through the same
Christ, our Lord. Amen.

+ In the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirt. Amen. (That's how I begin and end my praying session and my day, or when I get into my car to drive. I ask God to join me, and angels and saints. (Try it, you may like it!)

Trying praying the above prayer at a regular time at 12 Noon or at 6 pm, for example. Routine is good. It's like exercising or eating at the same time. The body gets used to a rhythym and so will you.

I bet you feel better already on this tax due day. Time for Mass now, then over to the jail to visit, and a parishioner needs me at court today since she was driving intoxicated. I'll have to pause often in prayer for her, others, Haiti, those who are dying, and the young and old who may be struggling, lost today on the Internet, or, trying to drive and text on the phone at the same time (don't do that!), or an elderly person feeling like no one cares about her or him all alone all day at home.

So much to do, but God will help me reach in and then reach out in service. What are a few loaves and fishes for so many? Yet, God does the miracle and makes things happen! God is in charge, not me! That thought helps me relax. I'll do what I can today by the favor and grace of God.

Woops! Woof and Wolf, my two eight-month olds Bichon Frises are jumping at me for attention and a walk outside. See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. In the Name of God, Most Compassionate...
    Thank you for the important reminder of prayer on this day in which many are in a frenzy, mentally fixated on the financial security that comes with submitting one's taxes before the deadline. I pray today that all of mankind realizes that the real security and even our daily sustenance comes from our Creator, not the creation. God has power over all things and it is he who decides our sustenance and outcomes based on what is good for us. Sometimes certain people are better off not being rich as wealth can destroy a person at times. For others, they are able to use wealth to spread peace, prayer, and justice around the globe. Thanks again for the inspirational prayer for today and for your beneficial blog entries. May God bless you. -M. Abbass

    ReplyDelete