Friday, November 11, 2011

Lifting Hearts and Minds

God knows we could use some help here.

Terrbile things happening, including so much violence and sexual abuse among children and other innocent people, including pedestrian traffic and those we meet in the community who are robbed, beat up and battered. We should know better.

Prayer is defined as lifting one's heart and mind to the Creator.

Some ask, however, how do I do that?

Like the University of Michigan or Pennsylvania, it takes practice to pray well. At least, to learn this art like football.

By the way, I hope all the receipts at the gate Saturday when the U of Penn plays, will go to the abuse victims, or at least to an organization that assists and imagines resolution to this epidemic, I pray God now and later today.

I quiet myself. Close my eyes. Rid myself of thoughts, and a running and racing minds.

This clearance may take time since the frentic pace we keep requires much taming and calming down if I'm ready to talk directly to the Maker of heaven and earth.

Go right to the heart of God, as it were. As if God has a heart! Human metaphors help here also, however. Be in your own heart and silence self for a change. Too much chatter all around us clouds any relationship.

Limit your words. No need to multiply or even say a word since God knows my every thought.

Still, I quiet down. Just be in the Presence. Prayer works, research shows. It helps heal up hospital patients and more.

It will take time since we're used to doing, running, and working hard.

You can do this. Be part of the solutions to all the problems facing us. After all, God made us and God will see us through. Just ask. WIll you?

Be.

Be now.

Be in prayer for a moment at least. Say nothing except the greeting, perhaps, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment