Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pilgrims

In the West Indies, pilgrims visit islands, like Saint Kitts, for example.

The pastoral green mountains adorn this colorful island with rain forests.

The host country is generous, smiling, always, reaching out with hospitality.

Safari beaches, sofa stone hikes and the Brimstone Hill Fortress and Fairview Great House are among the panoramic Saint Kitts, miles from St. Lucia, and, St. Martin, south of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Pilgrims make visits to holy sites, like I did to St. Anthony Church, a modest, spotless edifice where quiet is welcomed by the pilgrim. As is warmth of the sun, food, and water, for sure.

One the pilgrim's path is a favorite prayer I repeat daily:

Angel of God,
my guardian dear
to whom God's love
commits me here.

Ever this day (night) be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment