Saturday, May 14, 2011

First Communion Day

All the youngsters are making their first Communion these days of May.

That brought to mind my own first communion when I was in the second grade.

Holy Communion is the Eucharist, a word that means, thanksgiving, and Catholics believe that
the bread become the Body of Christ who is really present after consecration at Mass.

Yesterday, one little guy who is home schooled, was a Mass at 9 am in St. Edmund's with his family. The Mass intention was for him to appreciate the sacrament he is receiving today for the first time.

His family was all excited after Friday's daily Mass as we mingled in the parking lot and conversed.

As I recalled my own first Holy Communion, I remember all the preparation by my parents and teachers, including nuns who helped us know who Jesus the Christ is, and, what it is that we were receiving in the circuclar wafer.

Eucharist is one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church. Others are baptism, penance, confirmtion, matrimony, ordination and anointing of the sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment