Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy 80th Eleanor Josaitis of Focus:HOPE

Dear Eleanor:

Happy birthday!

I heard you turned 80 last Saturday. You never wanted to talk about your age, I recall, yet, you had a full life, very full indeed. It was tough watching you pass over last August in Angela Hospice, but, we all aim for heaven unless other plans are in mind, no?

You are still a living lamp amid a dark society. You light up a room, give hope, shine radiant and wax eloquently by your life. Without drama, you led, and, lived a life full of love and service for your family, for Focus:HOPE, for my Motown.

Keep spending your heaven here on earth, dear friend, doing so much good here with the likes of Ken Untener, William Cunnigham, Mother Theresa, my grandparents and parents, and so many ordinary others who lived life to the full. By their fruits you shall know them, the master, Jesus said. Fruit galore in you, others for sure.

With Saint Francis of Assisi, Italy, you preached with your life and used words when necessary.

Thanks.

I miss you so much.

Your inspiration to found Focus:HOPE with Father William Cunningham after the civil unrest in Detroit in 1968 moves me much to do and be for others, for Motown, for hope, for much more.

At the Detroit Isaac Agree Synagogue, downtown on Griswold at Clifford, earlier today we talked with the Rabbi and half a dozen others about concrete ways suburbanites could assist my Motown. I think you, Eleanor, had a hand in guiding me there over my young years up to this ripe age.
Later, Robert Waters of Hope Center in Clinton Township, and I participated in a Neighborhood Watch meeting at Saint Claude Chapel on Beaconsfield, north of Fourteen Mile Road. "Love your neighbor as yourself," Jesus mandated, and so, can we do any less?

You seemed to steer and aim high. Still are.

And, Fr. Cunningham, and Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, all outstanding lights, lamps for me, for many, for young people.

You reminded me of Matthew's Gospel, chapter 25.

Faith is in the streets where people live, work, die even. They give good news. The corporal and spiritual works of mercy my Catholic faith teach from the life of Jesus, our leader.

You, with my dear parents, moved me to hope and believe by showing me with your life how to be grounded in God, the Maker, my help.

You built bridges. Imagined a new Detroit. Your were the engine with Focus:HOPE, among the first female CEOs when Fr. Cunnigham's life went out. You steered a grateful City.

Bridging 8 Mile is Re-Imagining the Detroit Community Jan. 14 and 15th (313 492 7702).

You showed us how to imagine hope and realize it daily as you tirelessly gave and forgave and gave again. And, again.

People call 211 for assistance through the United Way if they are homeless today.

You made me notice ways like that to serve and stoop low. Countless more.

After all, you stood up when others simply sat and said nothing.

Thank you for the virtue or strength of evergreen hope.

From your place in heaven, please keep sending Light!

You know we need it.

I love you.

Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment