Sunday, March 10, 2013

Praying Daily Until the End of Time

Prayer evolves.

That's what Jo Ann Loria believes.

It does, if one continues to be faithful to prayer, she says.

Sadeer Farjo says he enjoys praying at the meditation chapel in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

Decades apart in age, each savors their own style of prayer.  An elder and a young practitioner of prayer. A female and a male.

Time God gives each one is lavishly and generously spent with the Maker.

I relish praying.

And, I know when I've neglected praying.

My life is lest that zestful and vibrant.  It is more ego then.

Pausing to penetrate the heart and mind of God, if you will, that's key for me.

And, that's the ticket: Having a favorite way to pray each day.

Prayer is essential to the Christian life. 

Like breathing.

Prayer is a vital and personal relationship with the living and true God, claims the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Prayer is the lifeblood of one's faith.  Faith fizzles without prayer, that connection in quiet and verbal dialog, or, simply listening long to God.

For Saint Therese of Lixieux, "prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven; it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy."

While Saint John Chrysostom claims:

"It is possible to offer fervent prayer even while walking in public or strolling alone, or seated in your shop, while buying or selling...or, even while cooking."

Active and passive prayer is defined above.

The Gospel of Mark, chapter 9:24, notes a prayer for help: 

"I believe; help my unbelief!"

Mass today in Algonac, Michiganat 11:30 am, will be my prayer with intentions for people who are ill or imprisoned, or, for those who have died, like my own Aunt Theresa Palinski, a year ago.

The Liturgy of the Hours for families are sung psalms that will be prayed at 4 pm in Saint James Church in Ferndael, MI.

Very early this morning, I walked and prayed in the dark as dawn broke open its light.

"You are my beloved in whom I'm well pleased," is a favorite saying of the Father to Jesus, his son.

Prayer from the heart is what I savor mostly.

And, like the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus with his fingers pointing toward his radiating heart, light spills and illumines from the lifeline of faith: prayer.

"Talk to God as I would to any intimate friend," advises Loria. 

Practice.

That's what it takes.

Like anything, spending time cooking, laughing, loving, living and dying, along with everything in between, prayer does grow over time and one watches that happen each each.

Like a good bottle of wine that seasons over the years, the crushed grapes ripen and taste better in moderation.

For me, centering on that phrase, "You are my beloved. . .," works well for a couple times each day of about fifteen minutes per session.

That's another appointment time.

It's sacred space.

Do not disturb.  I'm praying.

Amen.

So be it.

It is true.

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost!

The sign of the cross.

I like to begin and end with this demonstration of time of prayer before and when I conclude.

No comments:

Post a Comment